25 Dec 2012

Upside Down Tree



I went to a morning service for Christmas day at a church today. At the event, a speaker talked about the origin of Christmas trees that people nowadays decorate on Christmas day. The tradition came from Germany in the 15th century. What interested me the most was the historical fact that the tree was originally set upside down and hung from a ceiling! Usually, trees point to the heaven in nature. However, on Christmas day, trees were decorated upside down as symbolism of the incarnation. This means that the way we normally do may not make sense at all!

My friend at the church invited me to join a Christmas lunch afterwords, and at that time, it was so funny that his son asked him that "Daddy? Can I make our tree upside down?" Yes, if I were him in 15 years ago, I would have asked the same thing as it wouldn't make any sense anymore :P I actually saw trees hung upside down at a shopping centre, Clarendon Centre, several days ago and thought it was an very interesting way to decorate the trees. But, I now know that the seemingly strange way was actually the way it is supposed to be. It is always interesting to know origins of things :) Anyway, I hope you all had a happy Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment