15 Dec 2012

Umbrella Use in England



The weather in England is unpredictable. Even if I see a clear blue sky in the morning, it often rains in the afternoon. So, I usually carry my umbrella around and, seemingly, that is what many other people do, too. But I noticed one peculiar trend that people exhibit in this town. It seems that people do not really like to use an umbrella if the rain is just a drizzle. Some people even look at me like they are looking at a strange creature when I use an umbrella in such weather.

I don't like to get wet. Especially in Japan, I believe everyone would open up their umbrellas once it starts to rain regardless of the hardness of the rain. For me, it is a pretty normal thing to do, and I don't actually see the point of not doing so if one has an umbrella in his or her hand. At least in Japan, I would say that people out in the rain without an umbrella are seen as rather miserable, and other people may feel sorry for them. This may be partly because Japanese people tend to care about their hairstyle and clothes too much.

Just like other normal days in Oxford, it drizzled this afternoon. As I got bored, I decided to try walking in the rain so that I could possibly figure out the reason why people do not use an umbrella. It was actually a pretty good feeling as I didn't have to be anxious about getting wet by raindrops, car splashes, etc. In fact, when I got back, my clothes dried up very quickly due to the warm and dry air inside of the building. The only thing was, as my hair is wavy, it became like sea weed at the end of the day.

I think I should use an umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment