22 Dec 2012

A Great Place to Call Home



When I say that I went to a school in Arkansas, everyone asks me why. I wouldn't blame for them because when I decided to go to the University of Arkansas, even I did not know why I was going there. However, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

There were many things I really liked about the place. The weather is always nice with a clear blue sky. There are many trees and small animals like squirrels, rabbits, deer, armadillos, turtles, etc. Also, people are generally happy and smile at each other even if they don't know each other. A robber did not break into my house even though I often forgot to lock the door, and many friends kindly offered me a ride to an airport which is hours away. Sometimes when I feel tense, I watch the youtube video titled "The University of Arkansas: A great place to call home" and think of and miss those great days.



The school was a very nice place to study at as well. Headquarters of many big companies like Walmart, Tyson foods, Acxiom, and JB Hunt are located in the state and support education, so the school had plenty of money to make me engage in the research as I wanted. All the professors are very helpful and are genuinely nice people; when the earthquake hit Japan in 2011, many of them immediately sent me emails to make sure if everything was all right. One of my friends who only visited NY told me that his impression of the people in the US were generally not very nice. I traveled to NY and confirmed the very big differences between people in the city and the countryside. Of course, nice people is everywhere, so maybe the city was just so busy that I could not get to know people very well in the short trip. But I think this difference may be observed anywhere in the world, and I just like such countrysides.



Another cool thing about the school is when you graduate, your name will be etched into a sidewalk called senior walk in the campus. This has been a tradition since 1876, and the sidewalk, where 150,000 names are on, now reaches 5 miles. Someday, I would really love to go visit the school again to see my name left in the small town :D

No comments:

Post a Comment