12 Dec 2012

I cannot Live without Rice!


One thing I've noticed since I came abroad is the fact that I cannot live without rice. This is not an exaggeration at all; I am very sure about this!

Traditionally in Japan, we eat rice a lot, and I grew up in the traditional way. For breakfast, I usually ate rice along with baked fish and miso soup. For lunch, I used to bring a lunch box to a school. The lunch box had two tiers. My mom usually put salmon flakes on top of rice in the bottom tier and various side dishes like potato salad and meat balls in the top. Then for dinner, I again ate rice along with a main dish. Yes, that was how I grew up.

In the first year at university in the U.S., I lost almost 20 pounds in weight even though I was eating typical American food, which made most of my friends a little bigger lol. I don't really know the reason, but once I brought a rice cooker from Japan and started eating rice at least once a week, I got back a normal healthier look. I don't know if it was really because of the lack of rice, but after all, I started to believe that I cannot really live without rice!

Accordingly, the first thing I did when I moved to the UK was to buy a rice cooker and Japanese rice :) I bought a 10kg bag of rice at the beginning of October, and it just ran out yesterday. The 10kg of rice should provide more than 60 servings, so I think I've been doing a pretty good job hehe

The nicest thing is that I actually feel heather than ever, which makes me smile more each day :D

No comments:

Post a Comment